Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Does Work Suck? 9 Tips to Break Out of the Funk

We all suffer through bouts of work fatigue. These periods vary in intensity and length. It can range from "work sucks" to "how the hell did I get trapped in this suffocating job?!  

I have several "tools" in my "box" that I go to when I experience work frustration. Here are a few actionable items that help me break out of a work rut.

I REMIND MYSELF TO BE THANKFUL

I look at the nice things I have and remind myself that they would not be possible without my job. The house, the car, the phone, the food and the relative comfort would disappear if I told my boss to shove it.

I write a list of things I like about my job, because no matter how much you dislike a gig, every job has redeeming qualities.

I TAKE EXRTA GOOD CARE OF MY HEALTH

Regular exercise, a well-balanced diet and enough sleep should help ward off any of the medical fallout that work aggravation can bring about. I incorporate extra meditation periods (sitting, walking, eating) into my life. I read several Buddhist texts and remind myself that nothing is permanent and that life is suffering.

I FILL A CREATIVE VOID

I use outlets to express myself and satisfy my need for 'control.' At my full-time job, like most of you, once I strip away all of the bullsh*t, I find myself to be powerless. These side projects help give me greater say over products I am passionate about and good at.

I APPLY FOR JOBS

A job could fall into your lap, but the more hooks you drop into the ocean, the greater your chance to pull up a fish. I went approximately three years without surfing job boards (many of which I hate!), but I am back on the scene. It's a humbling experience to see how few jobs are out there. So even if I don't land a new job, it's a good reminder to re-evaluate my current situation, which might not be as bad as it seems.

I WRITE GOALS AND OBJECTIVES

Where do I want my career to be in six months or 16 years? By keeping actionable items with quantifiable objectives in my line of sight, I can make sure I am doing my part to achieve them. I re-evaluate the list frequently and tend to adjust it at times when work is not going in a satisfactory direction.

I LIMIT VENTING

There are no shortage of Websites that let you anonymously rant about work.

Trashing a job or sharing work grievances with anyone who will listen can be therapeutic, but if you're not careful to set a limit to how often you vent, you could become an addict. No one likes a Chronic Work Complainer. Plus it's bad for your self-esteem and morale. Set aside some time to bitch and moan and then move on, quickly.

I WRITE MY BOSS' EULOGY

I know it's a morbid thought, but this exercise has the potential to open your eyes to new possibilities, and maybe, just maybe, get you on the road to a healthier relationship with your boss - and more importantly - yourself. Since the boss is often the root of our work grief, let's take a moment and picture a world where he or she is dead.

I PLAN A VACATION

Having something to look forward to is of paramount importance to maintain my work/life balance. When things get tough, I can picture myself on that white-sand beach with the oceans crashing my trouble away. After the trip, I can remind myself that the my work strife helped pay for the good times.

I VOLUNTEER

I'm not as altruistic as I would like to be, but I'm working on that. Seriously, I've just submitted several applications to help causes I believe in. I'll report back if this activity helps my work frustration.

Help your fellow human avoid Cubicle Fever. If you have any tactics to break out of a work funk, please let me know.

No comments: